Miss/Wish List

It's time to keep a list of things I'm noticing as I attempt to switch between cultures.  So here it goes...

1. Plastic Bags - They are illegal in Kenya and it's hard not to feel bad at how easily people give them out at stores.  So when I say I don't use them, I feel a little odd walking out of a store carrying my merchandise as if I'm stealing it.  I think I was better at carrying bags around with me in Kenya, but I also didn't go into the store for just one thing when I was there.  Since there were fewer options I didn't price check between stores like I do here.  Its was one-stop shopping in Kenya.

2.  Coffee - I brought African coffee with me forgetting you can get anything here, including Kenyan coffee!!!

3.  Walking to a store - There were times when I complained about having to walk to the store in Kijabe, but now I see how convenient it was to be able to just walk to get TP, Nails, Yogurt, Veggies.  It takes a lot longer to get in the car and drive all the way to the store here. I find myself wishing someone would just drive me to the store here.  I don't think its because that was the norm. in Kenya, although that was true, 10 minutes here is much closer and easier, but it still seems like a chore right now.  I'm sure that will fade, just like walking to the store in Kenya got easier. 

4.  Food - You don't realize how inexpensive things are in Kenya, like veggies.  On the other hand chicken, there was 4x more and almonds were 2xs more there.  I don't even know what to do about this revelation, because a girl's got to eat.

5.  More to come.


Comments

Popular Posts